24.7.18

"The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" by C. S. Lewis

After gulping down three novels by my latest discovery Dean Koontz, it was time to reluctantly look elsewhere since yours truly needed a break from all those nerve-racking thrillers and to pull myself completely from that world, I went for a classic of children's literature that was never translated to my language when I was growing up (apparently it has finally been translated in 2002.) and it was something on my list for the longest time. It was unfair to this author that I approached the novel not with a joy but with a restlessness, thinking about going back to Koontz immediately afterwards - it also didn't help that years ago I have seen the movie, so was vaguely familiar with the story.

It is actually a very sweet story and in different frame of mind I could easily imagine this being a perfect fantasy gift for little kids who might be too small for "Lord of the Rings" - not by coincidence, C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien were good friends, though I believe their writing was simply inspired by similar interests and experience of living in between two world wars. In case you grew up behind Iron curtain as I did (probably the main reason why book with such a subversively religious message was not translated), the story follows adventures of four children - Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy - who hide in the magic wardrobe and enter mysterious world of Narnia where evil White Witch keeps everything locked in icy cold winter and fantastic inhabitants (talking animals) secretly await the upcoming prophecy that would release them from the curse. Children find themselves in the middle of the real war between good and dark side, with a surprising touch of religion thrown in - it was never really spoken but adult reader understands the hints that kids might not get. Lewis is definitely not Tolkien but in his way he is fairly close, creating his own simplified version of beautiful fantasy and as I read, couldn't help but to warm up to the story - specially descriptions of all the squirrels, beavers and other animals helping the children along the way. It was actually very easy read - I read the whole book in one sitting - and I simply had to tap into my inner child to relax and enjoy it for what it is. However, I don't feel the same excitement as upon reading "The Hobbit"  where I simply had to continue with the sequels.

No comments: