19.7.18

"Phantoms" by Dean Koontz


When Dr.Jennifer Paige and her teenage sister Lisa arrive in a sleepy little town, they are excited and prepared for joys of quiet life waiting for them - but immediately they realise everything is too quiet and they are being watched. Something is very wrong with quaint Snowfield and soon they will find themselves in surreal nightmare.

Intrigued with my first introduction to Dean Koontz ("Strangers" that turned much better than what I expected) I decided to continue with his work and following the recommendations, devoured "Phantoms" in two days. It is probably the best novel Stephen King never wrote and even though author apparently dislike being pigeonholed as horror writer, its genuinely scary book that deserve its reputation - I freaked out myself reading it long into the night (and than again, first thing in the morning) with greatest pleasure and still feeling very excited that I have discovered author who appeal so much to me, despite my reservations about genre that many claim is worn-out and tired. Well no, there are still people around who have a knack for it and you can bet that today immediately I am going for some more by Koontz. Just love being lost in the book and postponing everything in order to read another chapter. Similarity with King is obvious, though I must mention that Koontz have his own, individual voice and for the sheer joy of new discovery I am carried away with enthusiasm, despite intimidating list of titles he wrote (where to start? what to select?) - I think that my next book will be his "Whispers".

No comments: