29.7.15

"The Hundred-Foot Journey" by Lasse Hallström (2014)



This is the cutest movie I have seen in cinema last year and last night again, because I wanted to show it to my friends (who loved it and reacted exactly as I hoped). For some reason I had not mentioned it here so now I need to correct it.

Helen Mirren was the main reason why I went to see this one and it was delightful. 
It turned out to be just right combination of ingredients (food, France, good actors, bittersweet story) that works for me - some complained that it was too nice and predictable but if you ask me, I am well and truly saturated with cinematic violence, brutality, explosions and all that meaningless murders/detective/police clichés and welcomed this cute, little slice of real life like a breath of fresh air. How refreshing to finally experience something that is sophisticated enough that deliberately brings message trough light-hearted approach without being preachy and avoids ugliness - everything looks beautiful, food is juicy, scenery magical, little French town is inviting, actors are attractive and charismatic, it leaves you uplifted and feeling good. I have no problems with feel-good movies and if this is cinematic comfort food, please bring more of the same.

The story is cute: displaced Indian family in search of the new start gets stuck in the middle of little French town and they decide to open restaurant right opposite of snooty competition, where Helen Mirren rules with iron fist and leads her own classy, upscale dining heaven (awarded with Michelin star). Before long it turns into a war between newcomers and those who hold on to the tradition - nobody is truly evil here and both sides show delightful humanity that finally brings everybody together. Even if it does feel predictable occasionally, it is still a wonderfully warm-hearted movie that benefits from excellent cast. Both Helen Mirren and Om Puri are absolutely adorable.  

No comments: