8.7.15

"Mad Max: Fury Road" by George Miller (2015)


I have something to admit: not sure why is it so, but lately I feel that I have lost interest in the movies. 
Which is strange because movies, books and music were always the biggest passions of my life but somehow I felt subjects constantly repeating themselves, technical wizardry became end in itself and very rarely I find something original that has not been already done before. Seriously, I don't remember when was the last time I truly enjoyed the movie, without squirming and having déjà vu experience. This is why it caught me as a surprise that I enjoyed latest "Mad Max" movie, which was a long awaited sequel to now-classic trilogy from 1980s.

First thing that I was aware, was how old I am - I actually saw the original trilogy in the cinema and that was some 30 years ago. Than I started thinking how much each movie topped previous one, which is actually perfection as it should be. First movie was brilliant at that time and put both director and Mel Gibson on the map. Second part pulled no stops and was breath-taking back than. The third part went into Fantasy full-time and had some truly inventive scenes (fight in Thunderdome) along with already expected car racing trough desert that we learned to love. Now we have fourth part and it by far eclipses anything we have seen so far in "Mad Max" even though I thought there can't be anything possible to add to it.

It is great adrenaline rush with everything we know from before perfected to appeal to new, young audiences. From the scenery (filmed in deserts of Namibia) to the script, actors and overall apocalyptic feel of the story, I was truly hooked and again squirmed in my seat but this time from excitement.There were quite a few innovative touches (warriors on a poles jumping on racing cars!), the visual effects of the desert storm were brilliant and best of all, there are some serious psychological touches between the lines that totally transcend action genre and prove that George Miller is brilliant inventor indeed. And contrary to what I expected, I did not miss Mel Gibson at all.


No comments: