17.12.13

"Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon


I discovered Diana Gabaldon's hugely popular "Outlander" way back some ten years ago while I still lived in Amsterdam and gulped what was than a trilogy with the biggest pleasure, than drifted away from it and did not return to sequels for practical reasons - couldn't find darn titles in order, so I gave up. But I do remember that I gave the first part as a gift to my work colleague who loved it and we were both aware this was not some mystical, life changing, soul-searching, philosophical wisdom but a first-rate escapism, good old fashioned historical novel with a twist & perfect rainy day book.


Now it was finally translated and printed in Croatia - 700+ pages in intimidating hardcover that says "first in serial" so God help us with collecting novels in this bulky format. I have spotted it on the very first day when novel was published here and naturally thought it would make a great Christmas present, carried this brick home and than realised that I secretly probably bought it for ME. What can I say, I read it in two days non-stop marathon and still feel little dizzy from all that action, sword fighting, men in kilts and what not.

Apparently this was Gabaldon's first novel - she wrote it for herself, as amusement and did not expect she will create a phenomenon that would change her life and make her  full time writer. It is a first-class "chick lit" or should I better say, historical adventure/romance/time travel fluff that is simply intoxicating and infectious. Main protagonist is WW2 nurse who during her honeymoon in Scotland accidentally walks into ancient stone circle and finds herself on the same spot but back in time some 200 years earlier. From than on, she is on mercy of ruthless Scottish clansmen who fight and intrigue for power among themselves AND against English army who see all these highlanders as dirty barbarians. Her experience as nurse helps to get protection from Castle Lord but she is suspected on every step of being spy ... and from here Claire is basically falling from one adventure to another, gets ravished by all those men in kilts (and Englishmen as well) and even gets accused for witchcraft.

As I read it, at first I was mortified with embarrassment - "this is really silly love story" I said to myself "my friend will laugh at me" but couldn't stop reading. And than found myself reading it some more. At 3 a.m. and again in the morning, with the winter outside my windows. I don't remember when was the last time I was so swept away and giggled with glee when author(ess) was so obviously enjoying herself. This is the way I read books as teenager, completely lost in another, imaginary world, pure escapism. Sure, there were too many sex scenes and unnecessary hand holding moments, but what the hell - call it silly romance, call it "housewife's novel" but I purred with pleasure as I was reading it and was glued to the very end. Literature does not always have to be deep, heavy and monolithic - though holding this in hands certainly felt monolithic - for the simple fact of entertaining escapism "Outlander" is the purest guilty pleasure. I have actually skipped some scenes because was so lost in story that couldn't wait to find what's next. Sure, its not perfect and Gabaldon could probably cut half of it but never mind, I am not nitpicking here, this is not meant to be Tolstoy.

No comments: