9.4.13

Roger Ebert


Deeply saddened to find out that few days ago,my all-time favorite film critic Rogert Ebert had died at the age of 70.

I am too young to remember Pauline Kael who was prominent critic when Ebert was starting, but reading some of her work I noticed that they both belong to the similar school of thinking, not afraid to bash big blockbusters and giving praise to more original works of european and world directors. Goddess in her time,Kael actually praised young and up-coming Ebert as "the best film criticism being done in American newspapers today".

Roger Ebert was huge and influential in US,so I don't remember how exactly he entered my universe but one way or another I started following his writings and specially his web site where he continued to review new movies and old classics - even now I often check his "great movies" list where he collected essays on legendary movies and these essays are analytical, inspiring and brilliantly written,often making me notice things I didn't pay attention while watching the movies. I actually saved some of these essays to re-read them again,that's how good they are (he had also published many books with collected work). Often he was very funny and occasionally cruel ("Your movie sucks" was the title of one of his reviews/books) specially towards what he saw as fast-food products for "popular" mainstream market. Lots of famous public figures had expressed their saddness when they found about his passing, however this is my little heartfelt tribute to a man who inspired me and will continue to inspire with his work. I am truly sorry that he won't be around anymore. Rest in peace Rogert Ebert.

No comments: