28.3.13

"Sačuvali smo od zaborava"


One of the biggest rarities,oddities and (to me at least) mysteries of "Jugoton" releases was this 2-LP compilation titled "Sačuvali smo od zaborava" (Saved from obscurity?) that was exclusively focused on ancient "schlager" hits popular in 1930s and 1940s, performed with virtually unchanged, faithful orchestration exactly like decades ago but with voices of current pop singers. I still remember my befuddlement, standing in records shop as a teenager, somehow I ended holding this in my hands, wondering what were these singers doing singing this material. 

Now, "Jugoton" was no stranger to compilations - just like its descendant, today's "Croatia Records" that apparently milks archives mercilessly - rules of the business even back than demanded occasional compilation album with titles "Music for you","Music for lovers" and such (with series of unforgettable,undistinguishable covers of either young,smiling girls or flowers, nature and sunlights). But so far nobody (with notable exception of Stjepan Jimmy Stanić) visited long-forgotten material of pop charts decades ago. I suspect that perhaps some old composers, still alive and kicking, had their input and wanted to have their songs re-recorded, who knows? In any case, somebody in "Jugoton" had brilliant idea to collect voices of new generation and have them faithfully sing sentimental ballads of 1930s. 

To be honest, singers here were not exactly spring chicken - in fact, many of them were stars in 1960s and found difficult to get any media exposure except in nostalgic TV shows. But without exception,all of them were old-school professionals who knew how to sing,deliver and emote, even if the genre seems far removed from what they were usually doing. Considering that most of them grew up on a diet of foreign pop covers, it was surreal to hear them singing Tango or 1930s torch ballad. First of all, there is operatic voice of Krunoslav Cigoj who obviously enjoys every second of Tango called "Noćas" ("Tonight") and before you can scratch your head, he is followed by Zdenka Vučković, Kićo Slabinac, Radojka Šverko, Tonči Kljaković, Dušan Dančuo, Bojan Kodrič and the whole bunch of people known from TV variety shows - singing tribute to their music ancestors. To my delight, Višnja Korbar got two songs but her talent was never in question (she does beatiful Bossa Nova version of "Snivaj" and lovingly covers old "Tiho plove moje čežnje" by Ivo Robić) and again I must express my love for that beautiful voice that never got deserved exposure. Here is occasional oddity like duet Drago Diklić/Olivera Marković (?) or almost forgotten Dušan Jakšić who is simply heartbreaking in old torch song "Ulicama kružim" that is our own relative of classic french chanson. the biggest surprise, however is inclusion of my old Nemesis Elvira Voća who actually sings note-perfect, credible cover of "Ti ni ne slutiš" that has been hit for young Ivo Robić in 1949. (this song opens a CD Box with Ivo Robić career retrospective).

Back than,I was too young to appreciate this. So I bought something else,probably something from current pop charts that appealed to me. Not surprisingly, this LP got no promotion or media coverage, therefore it had slipped into obscurity. But I remember. And when, many years ago I found it again, my joy was almost too much - today I love it and treasure it for what it is, a loving tribute to music ancestors. It's not just wonderfully nostalgic collection but also a very classy album that sounds wonderful even now as I am writing this. 

No comments: