28.6.12

Opera : Salome by Richard Strauss (1974.)


Dark and fascinating opera about obsession, jealousy, incest and descent into madness.


Coming into "Salome" completely unprepared and not knowing what's in store for me I was hypnotized and glued to the screen to the very end - who could ever guess that opera could be scary as best of psychological thrillers? - of course I was vaguely familiar with Biblical story about Salome but did not expect such intensity of emotions and sweeping music. It's funny how I actually watched whole darn thing with hands above my head and mouth gaping (where's Donizetti when you need him?) and even the lack of conventional arias didn't bother me, this was something completely different and the quality of sophistication and artistry involved here leaves me truly excited, though is not music I would return gladly on my own.


This DVD presents 1974. TV version (curiously it says 1976. in the liner notes) with excellent Teresa Stratas in title role - seeing her first, for me she would forever be Salome as she has beauty, looks, poise and dangerous vibe about her. Other artists were more or less secondary, except fascinating Astrid Varnay (Salome's mother Herodias) who was truly Medusa-looking and perfect choice for this role. The fact that artists were lip-synching didn't bother me at all because it was done well and I was too involved watching anyway. Excellent. The only problem now is that I might find other opera works too trivial compared to this.

No comments: