25.12.11

Jerusalem


Finally after many years of traveling I had a opportunity to actually visit places I never been before.


So far, the biggest thrill was recent visit to Israel and of course Jerusalem - though our tourist excursion was rushed, exhausting and left us utterly tired afterwards (2 hours drive back and forth, lots of walking, I fell asleep as soon as I returned back to the ship) I was very happy to visit this ancient city. The moment I stepped inside the city walls there was a wonderful déjà vu feeling of recognition and I was floating on a cloud from happiness. It is truly wonderful old town full of historical architecture and everything is the way I like: crowd didn't bother me, neither people clicking with cameras and mobile phones, I understand it is modern world kind of pilgrimage now (though if you ask me,I would legally forbid all the electronic gadgets because they annoy me). I also had a good luck to visit Jerusalem in December so the weather was actually very nice,almost like a Springtime.


As for religious aspect of the surroundings, well I am not really into that - I watched it all more fascinated with town's awesome history and centuries behind these buildings than stone kissing that was present everywhere. If we are following archeological research, all those places were always actually somewhere else, either little down the road or a bit on the left or down the hill (or somewhere else completely) so it might be that people actually worship wrong stones but never mind - I guess that perhaps just being here in Jerusalem is enough and people probably feel happy and excited in their own way, if they believe, that is enough. My own reaction when faced with stones kissing was confused step back since I am not really into totemism and something inside rebels against outside adoration (it makes much more sense as intense spiritual experience from inside) but I must admit that most of the churches I saw were surprisingly simple and not ever-decorated like they sometimes appear in Europe. The atmosphere of the whole town was very spiritual and one can clearly feel this is a special place from historical,religious or any perspective.


Between other places, I have also visited famous Western Wall that separates town between Jewish and Muslim parts - I placed my hand on the wall and again felt wonderful déjà vu feeling but there was nothing sad about it, more like some ancient DNA recognition of place. Its difficult to talk about it without sounding a looney but I do have my own little opinion about reincarnation and can't explain in any other way why certain places have effect on me. Just as I am sure that I was here before, I am sure I will come again. It doesn't mean that I was jewish or anything like that, but perhaps someone far down the road was a soldier or a pilgrim who had visited Jerusalem before me and that is why my heart felt so happy here. Truly wonderful day.

No comments: