5.4.11

Secret Britain by Justin Pollard


How to resist another silly-facts-book (some would call this ideal lavatory literature)?

I absolutely love this kind of easy reading and in fact you can see me completely absorbed in this book,fascinated and giggling deep in the night. It could be that I love these silly curiosity books because of my past as a journalist so it comes naturally that I like to save these informations in my brain or perhaps as Virgo I like to know about other people's embarrassments,who knows... however,it turns out to be better than I expected,collection of very interesting stories from Britain's past,odds and ends that nobody talks about but are absolutely fascinating. Forgotten newspaper scandals,crime stories with bizarre twists and so on,I dare you to put this book down once you start reading it!


For example,did you know that there is a Nazi memorial in London? What happened with a woman who was inspiration for figure on every Rolls Royce? How criminals believed in "Hand of Glory"? My favorite bit of useless information is the story about true identity of famous royal biographer Helen Cathart who wrote sweet-natured biographies of royal family and always declined public appearances, explaining through her agent that she wants to promote royal family and not herself. Well,wouldn't you know,this gentle old lady actually never even existed and it was her agent Mr.Harold Albert who wrote all those books!


Thrilling,entertaining and very informative - cutest little jewel of the book!

No comments: