5.8.24

"The Shell Seekers" by Rosamunde Pilcher (1987)

 

This is something I had on my reading list forever and always knew that I might enjoy it, but it just needed a proper time. As previously noted on this blog, my attention span is now stolen by internet but apparently this year I am doing fine with my reading - not as much as before, but still healthy - so encouraged by this, I decided to bite the bullet. For the first time ever in my life, I was a bit alarmed with a sheer size of the pages (500+) and yes, the book could easily have been shorter but never mind. 


First thing first, Rosamunde Pilcher was in her 60s when she wrote the biggest success of her life. She was writing steadily from 1949. without any great fanfares but it was in 1987. when, encouraged by her publisher, she took his advice and started a novel that covers a family saga that follows its characters trough a lifetime. It was a smash and it made her universally beloved name at the age of 63. What made her so popular was the affection that she invested in her characters, her wit, charm, understanding how the family dynamics works and how the greed in the family can wound and separate people. Perhaps the main reason why "The Shell Seekers" was such a hit was that here was a British authoress stating plainly and clearly that its ok to put a foot down and stop your own children from exploiting you forever. They are your children and you might love them, but its healthy to take a step back and have some distance from them. 



The main character here is Penelope Keeling who, at the beginning of the novel lives alone and retired in  a small cottage with her grown -up children contacting her only occasionally, when it suits them. Since they are never available, Penelope focus her attention on people near her - her new gardener and young girl who was recently orphaned - which creates confusion and anger amongst her children who are obsessed with family inheritance and how much could be made out of selling paintings of Penelope's famous painter father. The book title comes from a painting painted by her father, which she refuses to sell and is hanging in her living room. 



I must admit that I was smitten from the start - enjoyed it very, very much and even read a chapter or two at my work - those 500 pages could perhaps could have been shorter but I cried, I laughed, I re-read some sentences again and overall felt a warm, fuzzy, feeling of pleasure when you encounter a really well written book. I don't care is this a women's book or not - guys are totally supporting characters here, mainly to do the physical work, drive the cars, make the babies - what was really good was how well Pilcher understands what goes behind closed doors in every family - micro drama in a micro world, the secrets, the anger, the frustration, the greed. 


I particularly loved this sentence (spoken by Penelope):

""I haven't sold the panels and I may never sell them, but if I do I shall keep everything for myself, because it is mine, and mine to do as I like with, and the greatest gift a parent can leave a child is that parent's own independence."  

No comments: