7.11.23

"Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury (1953)

 

Motivated by Goodreads reading challenge, I decided to pick up the tempo a bit faster and had finally arrived to the point where I have 10 books behind me this year, still have the whole November and December to reach 12 books as I originally planned. It helped that Goodreads also posted a list "short reads—all under 200 pages"  probably for the people like me, who found themselves at the end of the year and not enough books read. I did read, but somehow spent too much time on "Kim" which was mistake, I should not digest one book for months. (On the other hand, why not, some books are simply created to be enjoyed slowly) In any case, I quickly decided for Ray Bradbury for two reasons. First is that, besides brilliant "The Martian Chronicles" I have actually not read anything else by him, second is that stupid feeling that surely I know about "Fahrenheit 451" but had actually never read it. This was quickly corrected.


Dear reader, you probably already know that the title of "Fahrenheit 451" alludes to a temperature where paper burns - you might even know that it has something to do with books burning in some dystopian future. I had all these vague ideas about it, but was not aware that main character will be a futuristic fireman who turns into underground fugitive and refuses to toe the line. Like everything from Bradbury, this was excellent but a bit bleak and dark - for that reason its often lumped in with the works by George Orwell and Aldous Huxley - future never seems bright, perhaps there is only a slight hope somewhere at the end of the dark tunnel. I also understand it might not appeal to everybody, there are people who find it too dark and disturbing.


I thought it was excellent - initially it was kind of slow moving but I got into it really quickly and the last few chapters were really gripping. The main character is fireman Guy Montag who never questions his orders, until one evening he accidentally starts conversation with a kooky neighbour girl Clarisse who suggest that in the past firemen used to extinguish fires, not start them - even though Clarisse eventually disappears and is probably killed, this makes Montag think about his place in the world and why everybody does as ordered. Slowly, he changes his mind and keeps one book hidden in his house - it leads to hidden threats from his boss (Captain Beatty) and a betrayal from his ignorant and callous wife (Mildred) who cares only about her equally superficial friends and huge TV walls called "family".

Becoming a wanted fugitive, Montag runs for his life, helped by old professor Faber who explains him that there are others like them, living quietly somewhere in the countryside outside the cities. Right now I think I should read it again, just to enjoy it more with better understanding.

No comments: