31.10.22

Exhibition: "All those Amsterdam people ... 1935-1975"

 



I went to see the oldest document that mentions Amsterdam and found something else, no less interesting: City Archives on Vijzelgracht has long been one of my favourite places in town, because they always have excellent exhibitions, interesting subjects and imagine the entrance is actually free (where for other museums you need to pay ticket) - I have my annual museumkaart anyway, but its just great to know I can bring friends here and introduce them to the place. Currently there is exhibition titled "All those Amsterdam people... Photos 1935-1975"  that covers citizens of Amsterdam from 1930s to mid1970s and majority of the photos was carefully selected black & white work from artists like Charles Breijer, Piet Goede, Dolf Kruger, Sem Presser and Maria Austria. 





I thought it was excellent, specially the post WW2 period with its little caffees and people smoking everywhere, totally different city than today. Sure, the only constant thing is change and its natural that city eventually completely changed its profile - these pictures bring celebration and melancholy at the same time. 







No comments: