26.9.22

"See How They Run" by Tom George (2022)

I have just pulled trough the monster flu that dragged on and on, leaving me completely exhausted to the point that I would just work and sleep. Apparently I was not the only one but that didn't help, it still alarmed me and I even took Covid test just to make sure its not something else - going to the cinema to see this, was the first sign that perhaps I am recovering, after all.

"See How They Run" was a delightful British comedy, kind if similar to "Knives out" (2019) so it is hommage to Agatha Christie type of mystery. Where latest Kenneth Branagh excursions in that same genre left me strangely detached and unimpressed (bombastic cinematography and big budget but no substance), these two were delight. I guess we could call them ensemble films because the most important thing about them is the teamwork, all star cast and their interaction. This latest one happens around celebrated Christie's theatre play "The Mousetrap" and the celebration of its 100th performance (I have checked, it has been 27 000 + so far) - naturally, the murder happens at the backstage of the theatre and there is perpetually hangover inspector (Sam Rockwell) and his hilarious, eager assistant (Saoirse Ronan) to solve the crime + the whole list of weird characters from the theatre world, including Agatha Christie herself (who gets to play with the poisons).



It was delightful! I was in the mood to see something entertaining and have always loved British cinema - half of witty quotes went above my head because I was too busy enjoying the madcap energy of the plot and excellent cast who has so obviously enjoyed themselves. True, it might confuse people who are not familiar with Christie or have never heard of The Mousetrap" but that is their problem and I see no reason why should the rest of us have to accommodate their ignorance (see occasional bad review). I was enjoying the movie so much that I didn't even mind a black actor playing Christie's archaeologist Max Mallowan - usually I find this type of politically correct casting just irritating but here the whole story was so zany that it made a perfect sense. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they create a sequel. 

No comments: