5.6.22

"The Hungry Moon" by Ramsey Campbell (1986)

 

It is interesting that many readers compliment Ramsey Campbell on his "slow burning" style, where in fact I found it extremely meandering and slow moving. It bothered me so much, that I had to leave book for a while and return another time, when I felt compelled to finish darn thing simply because I started it. There is just too much filler here and way too many characters who are neither memorable nor actually important at all - I did finish it eventually and there were bright moments of inspiration, but its not like I'm rushing to read his next book. 


The plot is vaguely interesting, kind of variation on "The Wicker Man" where sleepy little town falls under the spell of religious fanatics and some creepy supernatural elements cook it from there - I seriously wonder why I had such trouble reading this and suspect that internet had simply affected my attention because I am just not relaxed enough to completely switch off and read the books like before. Or I need to be somewhere in the mountains, far away from Wi Fi. It took me forever to finish this and its not as it was too complicated or anything, it was just extremely slow. 

No comments: