21.7.21

Volendam

Because my Covid vaccination took place out of town (I decided on the first available date, no matter how far I must travel), my friend & chauffeur suggested we could quickly visit a nearby town where he has never been before (and he is local here). So after vaccination was done, we drove to Volendam just to discover a lovely harbour town that was just waking up. 


The whole area was basically stolen from the sea with a typical Dutch spirit - they have build dam after dam and somehow get dry land (in medieval times) that is still dangerously under the Atlantic sea level but it has all been controlled by the dams. So what I was looking at turned not to be a sea but kind of artificial lake. It is a lovely little harbour town with countless restaurants and caffe bars looking at the lake, with yachts docked there as well. I noticed photo shops offering pictures in the local costumes and quite a few colourful shops, everything seemed very dreamy and relaxed (as opposite to sometimes chaotic Amsterdam with its coffee shops), I would say this is a completely different clientele, people who come here as visitors are probably more into walks around the harbour and nice dinners. Also must say that the place was very well kept, the houses were just beautiful and this pretty spot is only 30 minutes away from me so I will definitely visit again - I can even do it on my own, with a bus from CS. 








No comments: