3.12.20

"The Crown" continues (sesons 2 & 3)

So as the whole world suffers lockdowns, stress, anger, frustration and whatnot, I am getting along somehow and spending my evenings watching "The Crown" - it is something I could have not enjoy earlier because back than I was working on the cruise ships and had no access to internet or Netflix. And truth to be told, I had resisted Netflix for the longest time because I didn't want to become "one of those people" who never leave the house and preferred going to cinema with friends. Alas dear reader, the times became so dark and depressing that either cinema closed completely or my friends all hid behind their walls, or both. So with public places basically closed, with absolutely no one in deserted streets, with cold December upon me, I had a curious peek at this TV show, liked what I saw and continued with a second season.

Season 2 was in fact, even better than the first one. I must really compliment the actors, specially Claire Foy as young Elizabeth II and her feat is even bigger when you check her TV interviews and find out that she is in reality such a sweet, charming and completely spontaneous young person, nothing like a dignified, controlled character she plays in the series. True, I enjoyed the other actors as well (specially Vanessa Kirby as princess Margaret) but for me it was all about Foy and her very strange combination of sternness and vulnerability, I could just watch her forever. As the TV show suggest, her younger sister might had more flair or more public success but it was a serious, focused and hard working Elizabeth who was constantly doing all the work without ever showing a trace of strain, tiredness or indisposition. The series suggest that royal courtier are the ones pulling the strings, but Elizabeth mostly does what she wants without making too much fuss about it - no matter what they all politely suggest, or what her sulky husband might bark, at the end its her decision and you can bet she would always consider the feelings of others. I just love how she professionally welcomes all these new prime ministers who are constantly coming and going - this is her job, she does offer them a hand and smiles politely, listen what they had to say and than ring the bell, goodbye. 

Season 3 did something I had not expected and bravely changed the whole cast to represent ageing of the characters. It is quite epic, I must admit and great idea to present Elizabeth life story trough a prism of whole new actors portraying different chapters. Initially I was not so sure and I sat there sulkily but not for long - the new cast is brilliant and Olivia Colman brings a new colours to Elizabeth who is still serious, still firm, still vulnerable under all that cellophane but now she is middle-aged. (And again, surprise to see Colman in real life who is completely adorable chatterbox and nothing like this role). Tobias Menzies has ungrateful role as her sulky husband with too much time on his hands, though there is one episode where he goes trough a mid-life crisis and I must say he was genuinely brilliant. Helena Bonham Carter comes in as princes Margaret but this time around I found the character one-dimensional and basically she is Cruella de Vil who drinks and drinks and smokes. Surprisingly, this time they managed to make a character of young prince Charles somehow appealing in all his geekiness - played by Josh O'Connor - and everybody already understand he is not exactly the material for a sovereign so its kind of life wasted, really. I am now at the very end of the third season and really looking forward to continue.



No comments: