19.9.19

"Dawn Upshaw Sings Rodgers & Hart" by Dawn Upshaw (1996)


At the time when "I Wish It So" was released, I lived in UK and clearly remember how much critics praised that album and lovely American soprano Dawn Upshaw who highlighted repertoire of Broadway composers. In fact, her concert in Royal Albert Hall might have been my very first visit to that place. (I was very young and didn't know anybody to go with me so I just went by myself and had a great time) It wasn't too long after that when she came up with a sequel, this time a songbook by Richard Rodgers and his lyricist Lorenz Hart

In some ways, it was perhaps even better than its predecessor (for one thing, her voice was not overwhelmed with huge orchestra) but it lacked the surprise effect from the first time around - now we knew that sparkling voice behind celebrated recordings by Donizetti, Mozart, Mahler and Debussy (not to mention unforgettable ""Symphony of Sorrowful Songs") was also capable of Broadway confectionery and my initial reaction was that this was quite predictable step. As much as I enjoyed the recording, I kind of hoped this will not become artistic cul-de-sac where performer gets pigeonholed in a particular box - soprano singing popular songs - Upshaw herself must have been aware of this because she quickly moved on to other things and finished the trilogy with album tribute to Vernon Duke

"Dawn Upshaw Sings Rodgers & Hart" is nevertheless a very enjoyable experience - how can it be different with a songs beloved as "Manhattan", "Sing For Your Supper" and "Ev'ry Sunday Afternoon" where that silvery voice parts the clouds. This time around orchestration is less intrusive and at one point Upshaw is even joined by special guest Audra McDonald whose voice sounds extremely similar to hers, its almost as singer is duetting with herself. Its very uplifting collection, done with utmost style and care, I dare listener not to hum along. 

No comments: