6.8.19

"The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan


The previous book I have read ("Hunt for the Skinwalker") was initially interesting but it somehow petered away in a second half and it became just another guesswork about Alien visit, much ado about nothing - theories piled up on top of theories without a concrete proof or even conclusion. However, someone on Goodreads have mentioned this book as a suggestion of completely different approach to the same subject so I decided to check it out - I am glad that I did, because I enjoyed it very much.

Carl Sagan was of course, one of the most famous scientists in the world, thanks to his work for NASA and TV show "Cosmos" - his work has always intrigued me but for some reason I postponed it, probably thinking it would be "too complicated" and one of those things I have to read "when I grow up". Well, I'm almost 50 now so I might as well check it out (I said to myself) because after all, if not now, than when? To my surprise it was very approachable, without pandering to the audience - Sagan has a gift to explain everything in a relatively simple way, without sounding like he is deliberately dumbing down, in fact it was very interesting. His position is that superstition has no place in a modern world and science works very hard to find all the answers, although we still have a far to go but at least we are trying. Initially my impression was that guy was poking fun at human ignorance and superstition, I thought he was kind of snotty - until I checked some of his interviews on youtube where he really appeared as one of the brightest guys I have ever encountered, very knowledgeable, informed and even witty, real gentleman. I was so impressed that I gulped the rest of the book with a greatest pleasure, since I changed my mind about him completely - I am absolutely sure that if he was my teacher in the school, he would probably inspire everybody to be scientists. Kind of person who is passionate about his work, about new ideas and even open to the strange ones - he claims (for example) that science always needs to be open to new ideas because this is the only way we can progress. 

"If you're only sceptical, then no new ideas make it through to you. You never learn anything. You become a crochety misanthrope convinced that nonsense is ruling the world. (There is, of course, much data to support you.) Since major discoveries in the borderlines of science are rare, experience will tend to confirm your grumpiness. But every now and then a new idea turns out to be on the mark, valid and wonderful."

I can't put in words how much I have enjoyed this book and it gave me a lots of pleasure to ponder the ideas that Sagan mentioned here, of course I have also watched "Cosmos" immediately because it was natural to enjoy some more of his work. Carl Sagan was a true renaissance man, clever and bright, full of enthusiasm and understanding why things are the way they are. He even understood why in the current society scientists are not highly regarded as (for example) sportsmen, since kids are embarrassed to be perceived as geeks and nerds if they are too "bookish" which is a great pity. No one cares or support the teachers anymore and its not noble profession anymore, as being celebrity is much more important. No wonder we have all these shamans and astrologers today, with ignorance covering the world. 

No comments: