28.6.18

"A Quiet Place" by John Krasinski (2018)


Lo and behold, I am actually watching something fairly new instead of my usual black & white classics - the trailer was intriguing and I still love to be scared, so I poured glass of wine and got all comfortable & prepared to jump at every noise outside. Which is exactly what happened.

Like most of these post-apocalyptic movies, "A Quiet Place" puts you right in the spot, without any introduction or explanations - you either got it, or you don't. Sure, its derivative - "28 Days Later" and "Signs" were there before, however director (and the main actor) John Krasinski came with a premise that this is a world where silence means survival and slightest noise might attract dangerous aliens, so it's quite interesting concept that music (for example) is out of question as it might mean death. Imagine, music = death, that's quite something. Unless you play something quietly on headphones, which sounds suicidal anyway. After all, we can't possibly be sure aliens won't hear that as well. The story is fairly gripping and got me at the edge most of the time, until complications start to get a bit far-fetched, I mean, come on, give these guys a little break. Emily Blunt came a long way from "Devil Wears Prada" and is very convincing as protective mother at the end of her tether who is forced to live in absolute silence in order to protect her family. Surprisingly, kids are also great, even though I generally dislike kids in the movies - my heart went on to little Noah Jupe who is obviously scared out of his wits and his sister Millicent Simmonds (who is deaf in a real life) is quite magnificent as a unhappy girl torn with a guilt. It worked very well for me and I spent most of the evening at the edge of my seat, if there is only one small objection it would be the aliens themselves - generally speaking, monsters are more scary and effective when they are not seen at all and we just have to imagine the danger lurking in the dark, seeing these giant grasshoppers reminded me too much on "Signs" but that is a curse of watching too many movies.

No comments: