10.5.16

“The Gift” by Sam Raimi (2000)


Solid psychological-thriller-turn-court-drama about young widow (Cate Blanchett) who gets caught up in crime case because of her psychic powers as a Tarot card reader. 
As one of the characters in the movie said, she is the soul of the small, backwoods town where all the misfits, unloved and troubled citizens find a solace in her seances, although we are acutely aware that Blanchett herself barely makes ends meet as she is left to raise three kids on her own. When daughter of prominent citizen disappears, police reluctantly turn to Blanchett for informations and she have to face not only public courtroom ridicule but hostility of prejudiced citizens and eventually a real danger because of her involvement in the crime case.

The subject is very close to my heart, as trough the years I was always fascinated with complete change of attitude people would display once they found out that I can connect the dots and translate the card symbols into coherent story. They would silently look at each other, than turn back to me very reverently and in almost hushed tones turn into lifelong stalkers who just wouldn’t listen when I tried to explain that my little party trick does not work by pressing the button and I have to be in certain, relaxed frame of mind in order to do it. Way back as a student, I had a passing interest in Astrology and as one thing leads to another, it wasn’t long before completely innocent curiosity got me ambushed with people demanding attention at any time of the day. It got so bad that eventually I simply packed my cards away as people really became too intrusive and bothersome. 


In the movie, Cate Blanchett is also constantly surrounded with “patients” who generally have little concern about herself or her family, they want the answers and they want them now. Battered wife (excellent Hilary Swank) or unstable local car repairman (Giovanni Ribisi) are perfect example of this particular type of people demanding her attention even though its clear that Blanchett is under enormous pressure and can hardly cope with everything. What is the most fascinating in this movie is not the mildly interesting thriller story itself as a sheer assortment of talents involved - actors are exceptionally brilliant and focused, everybody from sarcastic sheriff (J.K. Simmons) to unexpectedly scary local redneck brute (Keanu Reeves) is memorable, but I have to specially comment on performance of Giovanni Ribisi who is the main reason that I have seen this movie several times and even bought it on DVD. 


No comments: