1.8.15

"Spy" by Paul Feig (2015)


I have problems with comedy genre because too often I don't find big hits funny at all - my favourites were always some off-the-wall, left field forgotten camp treasures that no one has ever heard of and I'm glad to say that for once finally I enjoyed a new cinematic big comedy hit, it is hilarious.

Where this year we have "Kingsman: The Secret Service" that pokes fun at James Bond genre, "Spy" offers different approach - here the main hero (who is James Bond wannabe) is unlikely, plump and clumsy Melissa McCarthy (who is absolutely adorable) head over heels in love with secret agent Jude Law who naturally is not even aware of her. When her object of desire disappears in action, McCarthy somehow wiggles herself into action and creates mayhem everywhere she turns up - more or less all the comedy is about poking fun at her being such unwitting heroine of action but instead of cruel jokes we are actually laughing along with her, because McCarthy shows unexpected bravery and is bouncing enthusiastically at enemies. In the best cinematic tradition, she even gets herself a sidekick who is far clumsier than herself (excellent Miranda Hart) and there are some brilliant parts by Peter Serafinowicz , Jason Statham and fierce, spoiled heiress Rose Byrne. I don't remember when was the last time I laughed so much out loud during the movie. 

No comments: