17.11.13

Vacation


The last weeks of my ship life were pure agony - I was exhausted with never ending inventories, tired from constant work and unhappy with living conditions in another "dry dock" where all the crew lives without air condition, water and electricity for weeks. While maintenance workers deal with cleaning the pipes, metal works, changing the carpets and so on, my team was constantly counting and re-counting and double checking our inventory just to face harsh reality that at the end of the day we don't have water for shower/WC and have to leave our cabin doors open (by a shoe or plastic bottle or whatever) because there was no air whatsoever. Since I don't have windows, imagine the nightmare of trying to sleep with no air around. Except occasional smell of sulphur that came from cleaning the pipes.

When my final day came I was not sad to leave, in contrary I couldn't wait to get out and although pushing and pulling my luggage was nightmare as usual, I managed to reach Zagreb safely.


The very first thing I did was to walk around the familiar streets a bit and to visit a famous "Interliber" book market that happens in Zagreb annually - it was exciting though hugely crowded and all those people somehow killed the pleasure of browsing, it was a bit too commercial for my taste. Lots of interesting titles but not much space (I prefer to browse without teenage gangs and housewives around me), however I did manage to purchase several interesting titles and presents, one of them in fact I started to read immediately, it is a new biography of Eva Braun that will occupy me for some time now and as I am sitting in my countryside escape I am already excited about all these things that I missed: solitude, books, movies and music without anybody around me to bother me. And definitely no work or any obligations.

No comments: