23.6.13

The Return to the ships



It happened fast and caught me by surprise - basically I got an offer on Thursday to join the ship on Saturday. The carrot that dangled in front of my nose was the possibility to work with a friendly manager and already familiar team/environment. Even the ship is identical to the ones I worked on before. My plans were different - some more vacation, perhaps a trip to London and return to Croatia - but after I had shower & shave & coffee I realised this is indeed a very good offer. To miss this one would mean I might fall into some sadistic hands instead later. And in all honesty, why not taking this offer now, since I already had a nice, long vacation + EU blocks me from re-locating in Amsterdam so return to the ships is inevitable. It casted dark clouds above my whole vacation so let's better face the reality. And I accepted.

It took me only one day to buy suit/ ties/ shirts/ shoes and to pack my luggage for the night train to Copenhagen. Of course I went to my favourite bookshop and bought enough books to keep me busy for a while - I bought books before I got anything else. Since I had to lave so quickly & unexpectedly, I did not had time to actually meet almost half of my friends in Amsterdam. People are very relaxed there and don't understand that I have limited time on dry land - "sure, we'll meet next week" they all said nonchalantly while in the meantime I would already have to go. The presents I collected for them are still unpacked in my suitcase.

I am on a new ship now. Old friends, familiar faces, same rules, working hours, same food, same windowless tiny cabin. Another eternity of drills, standing, packing and unpacking the boxes, inventories, very late nights and early mornings, swollen feet. This is my joyless life now until end of the year.

No comments: