21.5.12

Farewell Donna Summer

Donna Summer passed away.

So many things I could write here - she was important as an early music influence in my life (I believe her "Live and more" was one of the very first LPs I ever bought), disco queen and pop star who defined the 1970s decade.
For me, as a teenager growing in Eastern Europe she was smiling face from LP cover, a beautiful lady that initially confused with Diana Ross but quickly learned to love her strong,powerful voice and of course it was trough her that I was introduced to disco - a love that lasted a lifetime.
Being far away from US media I didn't initially know much about Summer - except her music - and learned the story more-or-less much later. There was a rich discography to be discovered, her muscular alto belting everything from disco hits to ballads, rock and even occasional jazzy standard. Surely, she exploded on international music scene because of sexy,breathy gimmick called "Love to love you baby" and worked hard for many years to move away from that embarrassing image - interestingly enough, when she moved away from disco, her career suffered and since than she had spend decades trying to repeat that first success - the voice stayed the same,material was not. In fact, I must admit I disliked her later music almost as much as I loved the 1970s albums.

And now she's gone, forever into a legend. Most of us were completely unaware that she was ill. And it's fitting that everything bad is forgotten, outpour of genuine grief sincere all over the world and everybody is suddenly aware what a beautiful and talented lady Summer was. We might forgot her a little bit, with all the other stars competing for our attention and getting more media space, but Donna Summer will always stay Disco Queen Nr.1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the disco period. Feel ashamed now that I did n't buy any discorecords.