28.3.09

Books: "Rule Britannia" (Daphne du Maurier)


I always loved Daphne du Maurier althought curiously I know very little about woman herself.
Recently I found this cute little book,one of her last and I read it with great pleasure - althought a bit surprised as it is xenophobic: the story is set in a small corner of Cornwall where US marines come along and locals are against them. The main character is elderly actress who has house full of adopted children and rules them all with firm & eccentric hand. Somehow they all end up in arms (literary) against americans and its almost a war outbreak suddenly,with very interesting & perceptive way how people behave in crisis (majority are together,but some are perfectly willing to collaborate with enemy as long it suits them).The fact that "enemy" in this case are US marines struck me as strange choice but OK,it was well writen so I enjoyed it.Perhaps we are all used to have aliens or foreigners against us,so its difficult to percieve somebody who actually speaks same language as enemy,who knows.

No comments: